James Dean is and was a cultural icon that died when he was only 24 years old, September 30, 1955 in a head on crash with a 1950 Ford Tutor in Cholame, California. Just recently, and I don’t know exactly what triggered it I recalled a line from the movie “Rebel Without a Cause” where Jim Stark (James Dean) says “if you say no to life, life says no right back.” These were words that left me ruminating for days and weeks when I first heard them and they still stuck with me till this day. So I went in search of more quotes from James Dean to see a little more about what he was all about and here they are.
- Only the gentle are ever really strong.
- The gratification comes in the doing, not in the results.
- Being an actor is the loneliest thing in the world. You are all alone with your concentration and imagination, and that’s all you have.
- There is no way to be truly great in this world. We are all impaled on the crook of conditioning.
- I also became close to nature, and am now able to appreciate the beauty with which this world is endowed.
- To me, acting is the most logical way for people’s neuroses to manifest themselves, in this great need we all have to express ourselves.
- To grasp the full significance of life is the actor’s duty; to interpret it his problem; and to express it his dedication.
- You try to be yourself, do only what you’ve always done and like to do, and right away, you’re tagged as an oddball.
- An actor must interpret life, and in order to do so must be willing to accept all the experiences life has to offer. In fact, he must seek out more of life than life puts at his feet.
- Studying cows, pigs and chickens can help an actor develop his character. There are a lot of things I learned from animals. One was that they couldn’t hiss or boo me.
- The only way to make a scene realistic is to do it the way you know it would really happen.
- Remember: Life is short, break the rules (they were made to be broken) Forgive quickly, kiss slowly Love truly, laugh uncontrollably And never regret anything that makes you smile. The clouds are lined with silver and the glass is half full (though the answers won’t be found at the bottom) Don’t sweat the small stuff, You are who you are meant to be, Dance as if no one’s watching, Love as if it’s all you know, Dream as if you’ll live forever, Live as if you’ll die today.
- Am I in love? Absolutely. I’m in love with ancient philosophers, foreign painters, classic authors, and musicians who have died long ago. I’m a passionate lover. I fawn over these people. I have given them my heart and my soul. The trouble is, I’m unable to love anyone tangible. I have sacrificed a physical bond, for a metaphysical relationship. I am the ultimate idealistic lover.
- I think the prime reason for existence, for living in this world is discovery.
- Forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably.
- If you’re not afraid, if you take everything you are, everything worthwhile in you and direct it at one goal, one ultimate mark, you’ve got to get there.
- Reality doesn’t have any preconceived ideas. You’ve got to learn how to smoke the cigarette, not act smoking the cigarette. You need to drink the drink, not act drinking the drink. You’ve got to do things and not show them.
- Take it easy driving– the life you save may be mine.
Please share your thoughts by commenting below.